Saturday, September 20, 2008

Happy 1 Week Birthday!

Today, Zoe turns a whole 1 week old - amazing, huh?  Kyle and I are utterly enthralled with how much you can fall in love with someone that you just met.  
We've had a pretty good go of things here at home - my folks left on Friday, and Kyle's Mom arrived Friday nite to stay the nite.  She'll be back on Sunday to Tuesday.  Thanks are due to both sets of parents - the help is absolutely appreciated, especially at this point.  Sometimes it seems as though 4 hands are needed to handle Zoe, though I think I'm getting better.  For example, today I diapered her (including catching an almost devastatingly explosive number 2 mid-diaper change), nursed her (this girl is hungry - a total of almost 40 minutes within 1 hour!), and answered the door (well-wishing neighbors from across the street) all by myself while Kyle went to go get more umbilical diapers (he ended up with size 2-3 - oops).  So, we're getting there.  Kyle and I also left the house, leaving Zoe at home with Omie so I could get some nursing bras.  What a day!
Meanwhile, an update from yesterday's 1-week visit to the pediatrician: Zoe has gained a full 11 ounces since we left the hospital!!  She was born at 8lbs 1.5 oz, left the hospital at 7lbs 4 oz, and yesterday was 7lbs 15 oz.  She's turning into the chunk!  I'm quite grateful.  At the hospital she dropped below their 'magic' 10% weight loss, so we were 'highly recommended' (i.e. you must) to supplement the feeding one night.  We refused the bottle, and ended up with this tube contraption in order to deliver the formula in conjunction with the regular nursing.  So glad we don't have to continue with that (knock on wood).  It's really amazing  how much formula companies have infiltrated the hospitals.  The one we were at is all about BF babies (we were able to nurse relatively soon after delivery, esp. considering it was a Cesarean birth) and saw 2 different lactation consultants during our stay.  Despite that though, the first question we were asked (before even method of delivery) for the supplementing was what brand we would prefer - like I know!  We also received two complimentary bags, one from each company, full of all sorts of promo stuff.  Argh.  Ah well - here's to the BFing continuing to work successfully!

Meanwhile, here's a photo taken upon arrival home from the hospital - but appropriate for today.  We like to think that she's rooting/screaming Rice on to good things in tonight's game against UT.  Of course, the odds are long, but there's hope, yes? 


Thanks to everyone for all of their support and kind words this past week - it's been tremendous.  We're hoping to catalog all the photos of Zoe's visitors soon for another post.  So great to know how much she is loved!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Brinkmann, you might recognize the Rice onesie. Zoe wore it home from the hospital. THANKS!