Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mo's version of the birth story (finally!)

We arrived home from the hospital today. On Friday, Sept 12, our due date, on the way out to a celebratory 'date nite' at Mandola's, my water broke, conveniently in the parking lot just as we were getting out of the car. We hopped back in, me sitting on a sheet normally reserved to keep our car clean of dog hair, missing our last meal as a couple, but looking forward (and quite giddy) to the adventure on its way. Phoned my folks, who had to cancel their flight they had made just a half hour ago to come out on Tuesday, to fly into Austin arriving at 2pm Saturday, with strict orders not to have their first grandbaby before then.

After some last minute packing at home (we were anticipating having early labor to do some of that!) and stuffing our face with leftover pizza (with jalapenos - not the best 'last meal'), we headed to NAMC, birthing ball in hand and no contractions in sight. We checked in, and were surprised to find a very not-busy L&D despite the low pressure (glad to hear we at least had company elsewhere!). We settled in, and started napping to await contractions. Around 2am they started, and I was able to work through them fairly well, though I have to say I went through several of those hospital 'barf bags' - it seems my stomach was refusing to keep anything down, even ice chips. On to an anti-nausea in an IV, which was quite welcome. Sometime that morning (I had by then lost track of time, but Kyle may be able to fill in specifics, perhaps 8 or 9am) I asked to have my progress checked, and was quite surprised to find out that we had made it all the way to 100%, 9.5cm, and +1 without any anesthesia. I felt completely empowered, like I could do anything. Kyle had been such a great guide offering up many different positions and pain coping techniques. My midwife had brought in her rice cooker with a heated sock, which came in quite handy, and I have to say lavender scented washcloths are pretty awesome.

My midwife gave me the go ahead then to push when I felt the urge, which I started to soon after. After three hours of pushing, with every position known to man tried out, and still no progress on the station, we had a conference with the midwife. Given that there had been no progress made, the midwife suggested going for an epidural, and a small dose of pitocin to perhaps encourage some stronger contractions to help in pushing this hold-out out. We agreed that it was time to try something else, and shortly thereafter (I have to say that while I now very much appreciate anesthesiologists, this one didn't necessarily have the best bed-side manner) we waited an hour for the pit to kick in, and pushed for another 1/2 hour or so. Everything remained unchanged, and I was slowly losing steam, as were my contractions, which were coming further and further apart. The midwife called in the OB on call. She was great, which I very much appreciated. Given all of the progress we had made beforehand, she had me push for another 1/2 hour or so, originally encouraged by the strength of the pushes still in me. However, our little one remained at +1, sunny-side up, with an identifiable cone head and one ear, though not much else able to be identified. We all decided a Cesarean delivery was best at this point, and proceeded along this course.

At this point I have to say that I am so thankful for our birthing classes. We felt we had gone through the labor so far that we had wanted, and were quite comfortable with the epidural and Cesarean at this point. We were able to accept this as our birth, and all of the L&D staff were so supportive of what we had already gone through.

After all of this work, it seems that our little one had had enough - while she did take her first breath on her own, she needed resuscitation and was well taken care of by the NICU team. She was originally to be kept in the NICU for a day, to receive IV fluids and be kept for observation, but after only an hour she was already screaming and rooting around (so I'm told) quite dramatically looking for the breast, so we were able to come together as a family shortly after the birth. After receiving the report from the OB, it turns out that the sunny-side up nature had created a retraction ring/Bandl ring in my uterus, which was preventing a vaginal birth.

It was a long stay in the hospital, and I have to say that Cesareans are interesting things to recover from (which is of course ongoing), but we are happy to now be home with our girl (and her conehead, which is finally dissipating ;). Thanks to everyone for their support - we'll definitely keep you updated!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Well, it seems you had the complete birth experience- a little bit of everything! So glad she responded so positively in NICU... seems she was ready to be back with mom and dad. You did an awesome job, Mo! And, Kyle, I'm sure you were one hell of a support system! Enjoy that new angel. Can't wait to see more pics!

Anonymous said...

Even though I wouldn't want "Ike" in my baby's name I have to say I am a little dissappointed that it didn't make it in to yours just as a tribute to the other storm brewing during yours. jk

Wow! I am so impressed. Three hours of pushing, I think I made it an hour and a half and would have quit if she hadn't come then. It sounds like each person including little Zoe played the role they were supposed to and you had lots of good support. I am so glad to hear that. I am sorry you had to go through the surgery and now recovery, but we do amazing things for our little ones. I can't wait to get Miller and Zoe together. Rest. Rest. Rest. Accept help. Find lots of cushions to sit on, it will pass soon.

Lots of love, so happy for you both!
Taryn

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and Kyle. I know you both are going to be such great parents!

Love,
Holly

Shanan & Shannon said...

Wow - you definitely deserve the supermom cape for that delivery! I admire your persistence and determination. Zoe is the most adorable name and she is lucky to be a part of the Voosen clan. Take it easy these next 2 weeks and no lunges or squats or even tree positions! We love you guys and can't wait to hold your special little girl. What troopers all three of you are!

Aimee said...

Congratulations Mo and Kyle! Welcome Miss Zoe! Logan was face up as well which took us down the same path. He had inherited his dad's massive Polish head and simply wouldn't fit. He looked a little scraped up for a week or so but was fine. Take it easy and nap whenever you can. VH1 is a good bet at 3am when your up. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! We're so happy for you guys. Grant is looking forward to when Zoe is big enough to come over and play.

Anonymous said...

Woot, Woot, Woot....... I m so happy for and proud of the both of you. I can't believe our little Mo is a Mommy. But what a lucky little girl Zoe is to have a Mom and Dad in the two of you. If possible, I would like you two to try to send us so many pictures that we get tired of them. I would think 2,000 or 3,000 should do the trick. But that is just me, Aunt Sue may have a different post. Love you X 3 (plus the dog/dogs) Uncle Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi Maureen! I'm so happy for you! She's adorable. Sounds like you had quite a long and high-energy labor, good to hear that you were comfortable with all that the hospital staff could do for you. Hope your recovery is going well.

Another studio baby! How great is that? I'll be looking forward to more pictures, and eventually some pictures of Zoe and Miller together . . .

Love to you and Kyle and Zoe,
Sara

Heidi said...

Wow, sunny side up! My little sister was and she looked really beat up. Purple face and all because she was able to be delivered VBAC. Anyway, congrats!!! We are so happy for you :)