Sunday, March 15, 2009

Halfy Birthday

We had a small celebration Saturday to celebrate Zoe's half birthday on Friday. I recently read The Namesake (pretty good book and movie) and came across the Hindu custom of Annaprashan. It sounded like a fun way to celebrate her first food, so we invited immediate family and a few friends to celebrate with us (thank heavens only a few - if it had been sunny and warm we probably would have had it outside with more people, but this recent cold snap has put us back inside [p.s. - I'm ready for spring]). She sort of enjoyed the food, though I use that term loosely.





Afterwards we took part in the game and, if you count 'eating' as 'playing with,' Zoe's future prospects in life will have something to do with a calculator (though I think she really went for the paintbrush first ;).



2 comments:

Valerie said...

Zoe, we wish you the Halfiest of birthdays!

betty said...

There's a similar Vietnamese custom (or Asian, although I hesitate to make the generalization) at least with regard to the game with all the items. It's done at the baby's 1st birthday, so the items are placed all around the room. The baby is placed in the middle, and everyone watches and cheers as the baby crawls to the item(s) of choice.

Love Zoe's chair! Happy Half Bday, Zoe!