So, back to that 'no posting for a bit' I mentioned in a previous post.
Zoe did have her first sickness - some cold/cough thing, which of course spiked a fever, which of course necessitated an extra doctor's visit a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, to have made it all the way to February with a new born for a first sickness ... I'm pretty thankful. She's doing fine, and we didn't go on any medicine, just went out and got one of those cold humidifiers, which is a pain, just cause I'm sort of anxious about that whole mold thing and hate using bleach for cleaning, but what are you going to do? Anyways, we're pretty much over it (except Kyle seems to have caught something...), knock on wood.
A few days before we had gone to San Diego (way back then, which seems like forever ago in baby-time) she had slept through the nite twice in a row, which was total magic. Then San Diego, with accompanying time-change, happened, then the sickness, so it was back to square one. Well, as of last week, we seem to be trending pretty well. I've been able to get some pretty good sleep in, interrupted only by my panicked random wakings that I've somehow missed her cries. This, of course, is not true, and just first-time mom worries (or just mom worries?). So, getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep in a row, I've decided, is truly some divine gift to human beings. I am A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON when I can get more than a couple of hours of sleep in a row. Seriously. Last Monday at work I had gotten a whole 3 hours of sleep in a row the previous nite and I felt totally energized. Yeah, sleep. I can't say that enough.
Zoe did have her first sickness - some cold/cough thing, which of course spiked a fever, which of course necessitated an extra doctor's visit a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, to have made it all the way to February with a new born for a first sickness ... I'm pretty thankful. She's doing fine, and we didn't go on any medicine, just went out and got one of those cold humidifiers, which is a pain, just cause I'm sort of anxious about that whole mold thing and hate using bleach for cleaning, but what are you going to do? Anyways, we're pretty much over it (except Kyle seems to have caught something...), knock on wood.
A few days before we had gone to San Diego (way back then, which seems like forever ago in baby-time) she had slept through the nite twice in a row, which was total magic. Then San Diego, with accompanying time-change, happened, then the sickness, so it was back to square one. Well, as of last week, we seem to be trending pretty well. I've been able to get some pretty good sleep in, interrupted only by my panicked random wakings that I've somehow missed her cries. This, of course, is not true, and just first-time mom worries (or just mom worries?). So, getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep in a row, I've decided, is truly some divine gift to human beings. I am A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON when I can get more than a couple of hours of sleep in a row. Seriously. Last Monday at work I had gotten a whole 3 hours of sleep in a row the previous nite and I felt totally energized. Yeah, sleep. I can't say that enough.
yeah sleep
yeah sleep
yeah sleep
So, that's a bit of what's been going on. And, since I know most of you just read this to check up on Zoe...here's a video. I think it spells trouble, but for now we're having fun with it!
yeah sleep
yeah sleep
Speaking of work, with the whole slow economy it seemed like an opportune time to try a modified schedule at work. I'm therefore working 4 days a week, which is going so-so. The first one went well, basically catching up at home doing all of the stuff that's been bugging me the past 5 months (or, some of things); the second one was me and Zoe at home sick; the third I worked, the entire weekend, which may have potentially (though who really knows now) been avoided had I worked the previous two Fridays; and the fourth was a pretty good day off (though there's been issues with me finding two yoga mats which have mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth). It's hard for me to get used to planning at work for fewer hours, and hard for people at work to plan for me not being there on a set day. All of a sudden there are things that can't be done tomorrow, and instead have to happen a whole 3 days later, which in architecture time is an eternity and generally not acceptable. We're working on it.
And to the next thing that's been keeping me away from posting - day care. We're switching. Not cause we aren't happy with where we are (they're great), but because there's a place closer by that had an opening and is cheaper. With me cutting back time, and everyone freaked about the worst down-turn in _____ [fill in the blank], it makes sense money-wise. It's also a bit less corporate, which we appreciate and feels more keep-it-local-Austin-like. And, big plus, it's close by, meaning we can share in drop-off/pick-up duties and ....
Potentially take public transit (yes, this post is covering numerous topics - stay with me, it's been a long time since I talked about 'mo in austin' vs. 'zoe in austin'). The CapMetro train is starting up at the end of this month and, with stops near our house and somewhat close to both of our works, we are excited to make this fit with our lives. There are reports that the opening may be delayed, but we're still eagerly anticipating the prospect of using the train. We've seen them scooting around, were able to go to the local station open house which was packed, and hoping that there will be high ridership so other proposed lines can move forward, ideally one that would go Austin-San Antonio, which would just be a great thing for this region and potentially provide the same opportunities for rail-use which are seen in the northeast.
And to the next thing that's been keeping me away from posting - day care. We're switching. Not cause we aren't happy with where we are (they're great), but because there's a place closer by that had an opening and is cheaper. With me cutting back time, and everyone freaked about the worst down-turn in _____ [fill in the blank], it makes sense money-wise. It's also a bit less corporate, which we appreciate and feels more keep-it-local-Austin-like. And, big plus, it's close by, meaning we can share in drop-off/pick-up duties and ....
Potentially take public transit (yes, this post is covering numerous topics - stay with me, it's been a long time since I talked about 'mo in austin' vs. 'zoe in austin'). The CapMetro train is starting up at the end of this month and, with stops near our house and somewhat close to both of our works, we are excited to make this fit with our lives. There are reports that the opening may be delayed, but we're still eagerly anticipating the prospect of using the train. We've seen them scooting around, were able to go to the local station open house which was packed, and hoping that there will be high ridership so other proposed lines can move forward, ideally one that would go Austin-San Antonio, which would just be a great thing for this region and potentially provide the same opportunities for rail-use which are seen in the northeast.
So, that's a bit of what's been going on. And, since I know most of you just read this to check up on Zoe...here's a video. I think it spells trouble, but for now we're having fun with it!
2 comments:
Was it hard to teach Kyle to do that?
I can't stop watching this. It makes me laugh so hard.
Post a Comment