Thursday, October 23, 2008

1st attempt to vote

Ugh - I just went, baby in tow, to go early vote, and apparently I have somehow requested and received a ballot by mail. Of course, I have done no such thing, and have not received any ballot by mail. Now I have to go wait in line at the county offices to figure out who the heck this Maureen is that requested a mailed ballot. Hassle, hassle, hassle. Hopefully it wasn't actually sent, and no one is stealing our mail - scary thought....

Update: So, it was this Maureen that requested a ballot by mail, two years ago - which is apparently good for 4 years for federal elections. Kyle was able to vote yesterday, though he had the same problem. However, the people that were working when he was there allowed him to sign something so he could vote. Basically, two years ago when we were in Germany, we requested to have our ballots mailed to Germany. Of course, they never arrived, and we were not able to vote back then. And when you request your ballot be mailed, that's valid for 4 years for federal elections (definitely not local elections, as I have voted since being back home). So, I still have to make it out to the county tax offices, because for some reason I wasn't offered the same opportunity to sign a waiver, and they don't actually realize through their records that I have been voting in local elections stateside and not from Germany.

1 comment:

Margot Miller said...

oh crap.
i've been having ballots mailed to me in california for the last four years. looks like i need to get on the ball and figure out if i can vote...