Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I've been pregnant for 262 days in a row!

Man, am I tired.  It's amazing.  I'm moving slower, definitely waddling, and can't sleep.  Let me address that last one in particular - I think it's some kind of cruel joke.  I understand once the kiddo comes I won't be getting any sleep, but now it's just cruel & unusual punishment.  No way to get comfortable, no matter how many pillows I have around me.  And poor Kyle has been suffering through some nasty snoring of mine.   And then there's the whole needing to go to the bathroom every other hour thing.  Wow.  Otherwise, though, I think I'm doing pretty well.  The swelling thing is annoying, but I'm assuming (hopefully not foolishly) that it will go away a couple of weeks post-birthday.  It's spread a bit to my hands, making gripping things hard, but ah well.  Such is life. 

Meanwhile, folks continue to be quite thoughtful as Sputnik's birthday approaches.  We had a shower this past weekend with Kyle's work crowd (hosted by the Buchanans - thank you!), and had a great time.  More like a big dinner party instead of a shower with 'guess the baby food/poop' games ;)  I think all the guys in attendance certainly appreciated the change from the norm.  And, gifts keep on magically appearing on our door step!  Speaking of ... has anyone sent a car seat base recently?  The box arrived, but there's no indication on it who sent it.  We are (believe it or not) gradually getting around to thank you notes, and we'd love to send one to you, whoever you are!  Please let us know!

Here's the updated photo:

My appointments have begun their weekly rounds, and Kyle's now met all of the midwives in the office.  The hospital started allowing them to deliver the first week of August (yeah!  they had previously all been practicing outside of Austin), so the whole office is quite excited.  And, this has allowed the laboring women much more attention at the hospital by a midwife or doctor, which is nice.  
That's it for now - Happy Monday everyone!

5 comments:

Shanan & Shannon said...

It won't be long now! I am still guessing a boy although I almost changed my mind with the photo before this one. I think the cruelness of not sleeping is God's way of getting a woman to the point of, "Okay, get this baby out of me however you have to because this just isn't fun!" At least that's my philosophy...We can't wait to meet your precious one and are so excited for you! Keep us in the loop!!!! I'm so sorry your hands are swollen too...not fun and painful - you are quite the trooper.

Jenny said...

You look great! I remember people always saying... "you better get all the sleep you can now before the baby comes" and I thought that was so stupid. I was like you and all super-prego mamas. It just gets harder to sleep. I did start taking Tylenol PM towards the end just to get a few straight hours of sleep. I worked right up until the day I had Caleb (much like you) and could not afford to NOT sleep! Oh, the things that only the women must endure.
I'm so glad your midwives have hospital access. I'm sure you'll have an unbelievable birth experience. So, you think you'll send out a massive text when he/she is born??? If so, I want to be on that list!

thepettys said...

I agree with Shanan... I just think the no- sleep thing is God's way of preparing you for the lack of sleep later and getting you ready to want the little one OUT. I had a friend who said the last 2 weeks of pregnancy are worse than labor and after going through it, I would agree! So, this is the hard part...

I hope your little one has a wonderful birthday and I will be keeping an eye out for the big news! Can't wait to hear about another new SMACKL II baby.

Anonymous said...

Waiting for "Honeysuckle" (we are guessing the little one is a girl) is a labor in itself. If we can help in anyway . . . ?
Love, TN G'ma + G'pa

Anonymous said...

whoa! sure you're not having twins? haha...hope everything goes amazingly! sounds like you're doing great :)

caitlin