Saturday, September 12, 2009

One year ago this week ...

I had been watching Ike approach the Texas coast. While we were hoping not much damage would occur, we were hopeful that Ike would help me, Kyle, and Sputnik along on our journey to meet each other. The due date was on a Friday, and one of the partners in the office told me that he had a feeling he would not be seeing me in at work the following Monday.
That evening we headed out to Mandola's for a celebratory dinner, although Sputnik had other plans. I remember one of the roads on the way to Mandola's seemingly filled with potholes, more than normal. And I remember that sort of shocked feeling when I stood up outside of our car (thank heavens the water didn't break in the car!), knowing that Sputnik's birth was imminent. The look on Kyle's face was priceless, and I think I will remember that for quite some time.
We were giddy on the way back home and once we got there, calling people, checking some thing we thought was important in our birthing binder, getting last minute items together, and trying to feed our hungry stomachs. Lola and Sophie seemed excited and confused.
The hospital was actually calm that evening. Our midwife was already there, and it was comforting to see a familiar face. After settling in to the hospital room, we both started napping around 10 pm or so, waiting for the contractions to start....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pictures of the birthday girl! We want pictures!