Saturday, April 12, 2008

Singularity Event

So, earlier this week Kyle was telling me about this article that he read in Wired Magazine. Now, I didn't read it, but it had something do with the point at which computers will be able to think for themselves. Right now they're apparently close, and you can have conversations with them and not think it's a computer, but what trips them up is when you ask them in the middle of a question what is pi divided by 4.5 and they give an answer right away - that's a pretty big hint you're not talking to a human.
Anyways, so I was checking out my RSS feeds, and came across this article (also conveniently through Wired - are we nerds?). It seems like if you were sort of a techno-phobe, you could find some sort of correlation or decide this meant the end of the world was near, but really, it just makes me wonder if we really want the government using so much technology when it may not know what it's really doing. I mean, sometimes it works great, like when I get a refund within a couple of weeks of filing taxes, but, you know, I'm a pessimist (or maybe you didn't know) so, maybe it's not so great...?

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Makes you wonder how far off we're off from The Terminator.