Sunday, May 06, 2007

Convention


This past Thursday through Saturday I was able to attend the AIA Convention in San Antonio (so close!). I bummed with a college friend in SA, and took advantage of the close location to really be at the convention for way too many hours every day. But - it was great. The whole theme was 'Going Beyond Green' and there were plenty of very interesting seminars I attended. The final key-note speaker was Al Gore - great to see in person. I think he's finally found his niche, and probably does this sort of campaigning much better than he ever did for President. His whole idea was that the first great generation was during WW II - they saved the world from a world-wide (not just local, or regional) crisis, and it's our responsibility to be the next great generation in this world-wide (environmental) crisis. He also tailored his speech towards the audience, which was wonderful - related it to architects and the building industry: we have the most to gain from this move towards green, and can be the leaders in this movement. Another presenter said he wished that architects were like superheroes - when towns were in trouble, they would turn on the big 'bat light' and an architect would come to the rescue with a solution. The whole weekend was very inspiring.

And...Kyle and I discovered that we have a company that presents at both of our conventions:

none other than Big Ass Fans!

No comments: