Saturday, March 03, 2007

Italian Sunshine


Just returned from a trip to Italy. Kyle had work in Milan, so we took the train down there (only 29 euros!). The previous times I had been to Milan I did not make it into the Duomo or to see the Last Supper – this time I fit in both. You have to reserve way ahead of time to see the Last Supper (especially now with Dan Brown’s books being so popular), but I joined on to a tour group that was going to see it anyways. The best part of Milan was the top of the Duomo – so picturesque, and you could see for miles. A lot of the carving up there is so detailed that you would only ever be able to really appreciate it by climbing up to the top.
After Milan we took a train to Venice. We had not been inside St. Mark’s previously (summer weather, so I forgot to wear something to cover my shoulders or knees), but made it in this time (though it was so warm I probably would have been comfortable in shorts). The entire interior of the church is covered in mosaics of all sorts, including many with a gold covering that glitter spectacularly. A very relaxing weekend before heading back via a night train (with our own couchette – such an efficient space!) to Munich. A little taste of spring weather before we head up north for other adventures.








No comments: